Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Progress on the sugaring

Last night we were discussing the trees in our forest. I thought it would be the perfect time to start asking some questions about his sugaring research. Turns out he has chosen almost 10 trees by tying the pink ribbon on them. I mentioned I could only see about four of them, he said the rest are along the brook in the woods. Sugaring is starting to sound more serious now. I am wondering how he is going to get to those trees by the brook in the snow to change out the buckets on the taps, they are quite a ways into the woods. Keep in mind all this work will likely provide one pancake breakfast for our family. He has all kinds of statistics about how much sugar is in the sap, which is about 1-2% and the rest is water. Apparently we will be investing in a hygrometer? which measures the sugar content. I guess we will have to wait and see. The scope of this project is starting to creep...

My husband has also started blogging. You can follow him on wordpress at billcarpenter4. His blog is called The Homestead. He insists that wordpress is far superior to blogger. Whatever works for you, dear.

I guess I am going to put off the wood stove discussion, at least another day ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment